INMETRO’s technical requirements are based on the international standard IEC 60335 for household and similar electrical appliances, and product certification requires testing by an INMETRO-accredited certification body.
In addition to product testing, compliance with INMETRO certification includes a number of special challenges, such as the appointment of legal representative based in Brazil, annual factory inspections, and the translation of user documents into Portuguese.
With more than 100 accreditations worldwide, TÜV SÜD offers state-of-the-art testing facilities, and a global network of technical experts that can provide your company with a single source solution for achieving compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements, standards and voluntary industry schemes. In addition, TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international standards development activities, providing our clients with the most up-to-date knowledge of current and future requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.
TÜV SÜD Brazil is accredited by INMETRO as a Certification Body for a variety of electrical and electronic products, including electrical appliances and products. We can conduct electrical safety testing in our fully accredited laboratory partners in Brazil and TÜV SÜD laboratories elsewhere around the world, and our testing engineers are experienced in testing the complete range of electrical household appliances. Our electrical safety testing is also covered by our internationally accepted ILAC and IECEE CB Scheme accreditation, based on our compliance with ISO 17025.
Our services at a glance
TÜV SÜD provides a full range of electrical safety testing for compliance with INMETRO requirements. Specific testing services include:
- High voltage test (dielectric withstand test) - measures the ability of an electrical product to withstand a high voltage applied between a product’s electrical circuit and ground.
- Leakage current test - evaluates whether current that flows between an AC source and ground does not exceed a specified limit.
- Insulation resistance test - calibrates the quality of the electrical insulation used.
- Ground continuity test - ensures that a clear path is available between all exposed metal surfaces and the power system ground.
- Ground bond test - confirms that the ground connection from a product to earth ground is sufficient.
Only electrical household appliances that have been tested and certified by an INMETRO-accredited certification body are legally permitted to be sold in Brazil. Failure to obtain INMETRO certification can result in delays to market entry, or the required withdrawal or seizure of non-certified household appliances, and may also lead to financial penalties.