Certain lamp tests, such as those addressing electrical safety and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), are generally required for access to major markets, including the U.S. and the European Union (EU). In addition, demonstrated compliance with the requirements of voluntary energy efficiency schemes, such as the U.S. ENERGY STAR program, are important for acceptance by utilities, retailers and consumers, and can provide lamp manufacturers with a critical competitive advantage. Finally, product safety is a paramount consideration for consumers, and certification addresses consumer demands for safe products.
TÜV SÜD offers a comprehensive suite of testing, certification and advisory services on the regulations, standards and voluntary energy efficiency programs applicable to lamps. TÜV SÜD technical experts can also assist in product design and development, quality testing, environmental certification and transport monitoring, and can provide customized services in support of global supply chain activities. The TÜV SÜD blue octagon certification mark is globally recognized as a symbol of product safety.
TÜV SÜD services for lamps include:
|Testing ||TÜV SÜD testing laboratories are equipped to conduct specific tests consistent with the requirements of all applicable standards and voluntary schemes, such as:|
- Luminous flux and maintenance of luminous flux
- Warm-up time
- Correlated color temperature in the state of stability and x/y coordinates in the CIE 1931 chromaticity diagram
- Determination of color binning (MacAdam ellipses)
- Variations in color temperature and luminous flux over time
- Lamp current
- Power factor (ratio of active power to apparent power)
- Lamp survival factor (LSF)
- Color rendering index
- Switching cycles
|Certification ||We offer the following certification services for lamps:|
- NRTL Mark - safety certification for the US and Canada
- EU CE Mark - The product passport to the EU market
- IECEE CB Scheme report - As a CB Scheme recognized laboratory, TÜV SÜD is able to provide manufacturers with CB reports, which can be converted into national certification of many countries
- GS Mark - The Geprüfte Sicherheit mark is a German safety certification mark, it is widely recognized in Germany, Europe and across the world
- TÜV SÜD EMC Mark - TÜV SÜD electro-magnetic compatibility certification mark, indicates that the product's compliance to electromagnetic requirements have been tested and its manufacturing processes have been strictly evaluated by TÜV SÜD
- TÜV SÜD ErP Mark - TÜV SÜD ErP instruction certification mark, indicates that the product’s compliance to ErP instructions requirements have been met and manufacturing processes have been strictly appraised by TÜV SÜD
- Australian C-Tick - Certification of electromagnetic compatibility for Australia and New Zealand
- Japan PSE Mark - A mandatory mark required by all electronic appliances and materials that are sold in Japan
|EU Directives and Regulations ||TÜV SÜD’s lamp testing and certification services help you demonstrate compliance with requirements of directives and regulations in effect in the European Union (EU), including:|
- EU Directive 2009/125/EC - Eco design requirements for energy-related products
- Regulation (EC) No. 244/2009 and No. 1194/2012 - Eco design requirements for lamps, LEDs and related equipment
- Regulation (EU) No. 874/2012 - Energy labelling of electrical lamps and luminaires
We can offer testing in support of all other international regulations and standards for lamps.
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for electrical and lighting products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. And TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognized around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.
Today, a variety of lamp technologies are available to meet a wide range of specific environment and application requirements. Lamp types include fluorescent lamps, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), lamps based on light emitting diode (LED) technology, high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps, and induction lamps. Lamp testing is conducted in a laboratory to assess compliance with various safety and performance-related issues, including:
- Electrical safety
- Electromagnetic emissions and immunity
- Energy efficiency
- Photobiological safety
Specific tests required by regulatory authorities or voluntary energy efficiency programs may vary, depending on the type of lamp technology and its intended use, as well as the geographic market in which the lamp will be sold. A detailed test plan can help to make the testing process more efficient by identifying all required testing and eliminating duplicate testing efforts. An experienced, independent testing laboratory can provide assistance in developing an efficient and cost-effective plan that addresses all testing requirements.