At TÜV SÜD America, we are passionate about technology, people and the environment. For almost 150 years, our employee’s contributions and enthusiasm have been essential to the success of our business. Our commitment is to invest in our employees as well as to hire, develop, and engage the best talent to help us continue to build our team. We are dedicated to creating a work environment where all levels of employees are inspired to learn, grow, and be empowered to achieve both their professional as well as personal goals.
The Chief Engineer is responsible for the development and implementation of all policies and procedures related to the Non-Nuclear Quality Assurance Program and Operating Procedures.
The Chief Inspector reports directly to the Vice President TÜV SÜD Industry Service in all matters pertaining to this job position.
- Directly responsible for the implementation and maintenance of the Quality Assurance Program and Operating Procedures. Assuring that inspection services are performed in compliance with ASME Code, National Board and (TPI) contractual inspection requirements.
- Provides technical support to Inspectors and Clients to ensure codes and standards conform as applicable. He is responsible when technical disputes regarding Code compliance occur between TÜV SÜD Inspectors and clients.
- Assigns Code Supervisor’s and Inspector’s to clients having ASME and or NB accreditation.
- Approves all requests for new or existing National Board commissions, along with requesting the proper endorsements for each Inspector and Supervisor who has met the qualifications set forth in the TÜV SÜD Quality Assurance Manual, ASME QAI-1 and NB-263.
- Verifies that the necessary state and/or jurisdictional commissions/certificates of competency applications are prepared and submitted for each Inspector and Supervisor who has met the qualifications set out in the Quality Assurance Manual and the applicable state or jurisdictional requirements.
- Designates qualified personnel as commissioned inspectors, authorized inspectors, authorized inspection supervisors and auditors.
- Develops and administers training programs, correspondence courses and training materials required by TÜV SÜD Operating Procedures, Quality Assurance Program and Quality Control Program
- Performs indoctrination, training and development of inspection personnel and supervisors in the requirements of the TÜV SÜD Quality Assurance program, TÜV SÜD Operating Procedures and ASME/NB standards.
- Reports in writing to the Vice President TÜV SÜD Industry Service, any non-conforming activities that are reported to him or that he has observed on the part of the Inspector or Supervisor, following full investigation of such activities.
- The Chief Engineer shall have met one of the following requirements:
- Graduate of a 4 year accredited engineering or science college or university, plus 5 years of experience in quality assurance, including testing and inspection (or both) of equivalent manufacturing, construction, or installation activities. At least 2 years of this experience should be associated with nuclear facilities.
- High school graduate, plus 10 years of experience in general quality assurance or engineering, or equivalent manufacturing, construction, or installation activities. Five years of this experience is required in quality assurance, including testing and inspection (or both) of equivalent construction and installation activities. At least 2 years of this experience should be associated with nuclear facilities.
- At least 5 years ASME Boiler and Pressure Code related work, which includes inspection under the provisions of the ASME Code Sections I, III, or VIII supervision of such work prior to the establishment of these qualifications, administration of shop inspection service under the referenced Sections or experience in applicable Code related manufacturing or construction activities.
- Shall have passed an examination developed, promulgated and administered by the National Board for both the “B” “NS” endorsements.
- Shall have knowledge of basic fundamentals of health physics for permissible exposure to radiation.
- The Chief Engineer shall have knowledge of ASME nuclear and non-nuclear survey procedures, which include:
- Service with at least two nuclear survey teams as a member or as an observer.
- Serving as a member or observer on one ASME nuclear survey team, plus documented satisfactory completion of a course promulgated by ASME on the conduct of nuclear surveys and administration of ASME nuclear accreditation program.
- Service with at least three non-nuclear shop review teams as a member or as an observer.
- The Chief Engineer shall have experience in review and implementation of client’s QA Programs and the knowledge base to effectively provide a resolution of corrective actions associated with the program where necessary.
- Leadership abilities
- Team management abilities
- Ability to effectively and efficiently plan work, as well as assisting others in their planning.
- Works effectively with other people, as necessary, for completion of any assigned duties.
- Effectively executes the required procedures, codes or standards to meet the company and customer service needs.
- Ability to present concise engineering evaluations and recommendations both orally and written.
- Ability to perform inspections assigned with limited or no supervision.
- Technical expertise.
- Ability to plan for and meet deadlines.
- Represent TÜV SÜD products and services in a professional manner.
TÜV SÜD America, Inc. is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, marital status, genetics, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status and those laws, directives, and regulations of Federal, State, and Local governing bodies or agencies. We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.