National Institute of Metrology, Quality and Technology (INMETRO) is a Brazilian regulatory agency that evaluates compliance requirements for products manufactured in or imported into Brazil. The INMETRO certification scheme serves to establish a minimum standard of quality and safety for a comprehensive list of components, which is constantly evolving as new regulations are released and current ones are updated.
Automotive parts that need to be INMETRO-certified include:
- Bearing half
- Electric fuel pumps for Otto cycle engines
- Horns or similar equipment
- Lamps for automotive vehicles
- Light aluminium alloy pistons
- Pins and locking rings
- Piston rings
- Suspension shock absorbers
- Tempered and laminated safety glass
Obtaining the INMETRO certification is a four-step process which involves a comprehensive assessment of the product’s performance. Following that, it is mandatory for annual audits to be conducted to ensure that the product certification is properly maintained.
1. Application for INMETRO certification
Applicants will need to prepare and submit all the required documents for designation and complete the application forms through INMETRO’s website.
2. Documentation review
An assessor will be appointed to perform a document review once the required documents are fully submitted.
3. On-site and performance assessment
A management system audit will first be conducted; organisations which are already 9001 and ISO/TS certified could be exempted. This will be followed by a performance assessment, where product samples will be evaluated in laboratories that are aligned to INMETRO’s scope.
4. INMETRO certification and registration of product
Once evaluation is completed and criteria are met, applicants will receive an INMETRO certification and a registration number that must be included and identified in the end product. Products can be commercialised only after certification and registration.
Our experts in Brazil provide type approval and homologation services to help you meet INMETRO requirements in order to export your automotive products to the Brazilian market.
Enjoy the following business benefits when you work with TÜV SÜD:
- Save time and money by letting us assess your products for multiple type approval requirements in a single, streamlined process
- Minimise risks by using our services to avoid loss of sales revenue from being denied access to your customers in Brazil
- Access the Brazilian market quickly with the help from our local experts to meet certification requirements ahead of the official deadline
Supported by our global network of testing facilities and homologation experts, we offer a comprehensive range of INMETRO certification services to help you achieve conformity and certify your products according to INMETRO requirements.
- INMETRO certification
- Component testing
- Homologation services
TÜV SÜD also provides multi regulation management services, where we help you understand and identify the overlaps and evolving requirements of different regulations so that you can achieve multiple certifications within one project.